For decades AAUW members across Washington State have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day. Basic to all of AAUW-WA’s public policy efforts is the understanding that true equity requires women’s empowerment as individuals and structural support for their full participation as responsible members of their communities.
In 2023 AAUW-WA is focusing on Education, Sexual Assault and Violence and Healthcare and Reproductive Freedom. Click to read all about our principles and priorities…
2023 suggested advocacy tools for you to show support for AAUW public policy goals.
- 2023 legislation and links to learn more and make your voice heard
- Learn more about how Washington state legislation works – link to state website…
- Advocacy and how to get involved information from the ACLU – American Civil Liberties Union – of Washington state…
AAUW and Voting Rights
Democratic political processes are crucial to women’s empowerment in public and private life. For that reason, we support strong protection for the right to vote and meaningful campaign finance reforms. These will elevate the voices of all citizens and therefore promote a government that represents the popular will and general interest more fully. Read document – AAUW Where We Stand on Voting Rights.
AAUW supports Voting Rights legislation including legislation that will:
- require every state to have automatic voter registration,
- establish Election Day as a federal holiday,
- ensure the ability to vote by mail,
- protect communities vulnerable to disenfranchisement, and
- ban partisan gerrymandering.
Archive of Tools
- Voter tools: A good resource for voting rights legislation in Washington state is the League of Women Voters of Washington. See their review of Elections bills, Money in Politics bills, and Redistricting bills.
- Legislative Comparisons Tools (click to read…)
- Initiatives and Referendums (click to read…)
- School Board Elections (click to read…)
- Take ACTION! read more…